Friday, November 5, 2010

Exercise

I chose to do exercise 2, find an ad that uses apple polishing.
It is like the example in the book. The example is shampoo and the unstated premise is “you want to look good with shiny, well-kept hair.” The ad I chose unstated premise is you want to make up that makes you look beautiful and skincare products that work. Now is it a good argument? Refer to the good argument test on page 40.  The premise is that women want to look good, that is plausible. The conclusion to the ad is to buy Mary Kay products.  I think women looking good is more plausible then that. Is it valid or strong? Women want to look good but may end up not buying the product. So the premise is true but conclusion false. That makes it weak.  It is a bad argument because it did not pass the three tests.                              

1 comment:

  1. AV Frias-
    Thanks for posting this blog, it was really helpful! The concept of apple polishing was a little difficult for me to completely understand, but after reading your blog I was able to come up with other examples that I have seen in my life. I also really enjoyed how you broke everything down in the post from whether it was a good argument, to a bad argument, and whatnot. The Youtube video was also extremely helpful. Thanks for posting this blog! You are pretty good at explaining everything and make it really easy to understand and I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete