Friday, November 12, 2010

Examples

Reasoning by analogy is simple. It compares two things and both sides come to the same conclusion in an argument. The first example in the book was good. Kid A’s conclusion was to hit Kid B so Kid B concludes that it is fair to hit Kid A back. According to the University of Pittsburg, sign reasoning is a way of proving arguments in different forms. Some forms are logic, which are more forms within itself, visual/aural proof, and storytelling. An example of hypothetical logic reasoning would be if I take a sleeping pill (if A), then I will fall asleep (then B), I took the pill (A is present) then I feel asleep (so B is present). Casual reasoning’s different forms include causation, method of agreement, method of difference, and five others. An example of method of agreement is finding out what people had in common that caused the event. If two people went to the same mechanic with the same problem, a flat tire, the mechanic could ask them the where they drove. If both drivers said on southbound 880 by the airport, he concludes that there is something there giving people flat tires. Changing minds says criteria reasoning is “defining the criteria by which the outcome of a decision will be judged, and then identify the best decision, given these constraints.” An example from then is “how will we know when we have succeeded? Let’s discuss this first…” All the examples are in the forms of question and lead to a discussion to define the criteria and are not just a simple statement on how to succeed. Reasoning by example is using examples in your argument. “You will not be bored if you ever visit New York. I was there last month and our day was full of things to do and we already have an itinerary for when we go next” is reasoning by example. Inductive reasoning takes general conclusions from observations. An example of this could be “everyone that I see get on the subway, swipes a card. So to get on the subway you must swipe a card.” Deductive reasoning makes or evaluates deductive arguments. Examples can be valid or invalid but not true or false.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you organized this.It was an easy read and those are always the best blogs:) I liked how you explained the reasoning first and then gave examples. It was layed out well enough that I felt that it was a mini lesson of the past couple of chapters. Your examples were well thought out and I could understand them becuase you explained the reasoning. I wish I read your blog before I did mine so that I could understand the assignment better and have a better idea of how I could organize my information as well.

    ReplyDelete