Friday, November 5, 2010

Appeal to Emotion

According to Epstien, “an appeal to emotion in an argument is just a premise that says, roughly, you should believe or do something because you feel a certain way.” The different kinds of appeals are appeal to pity, fear, spite and vanity. There are also call in your debts arguments and feel good arguments. Appeals to fear, spite and vanity do not have an effect on me and neither does a feel good argument. If someone brings up a debt in an argument I am likely to fold in. For example, if a coworker worked one of my shifts for me and they needed one of their shifts covered and reminded me of the favor they did for me, I am likely to repay the favor. I feel really bad when someone helps me out but I cannot help them back. Whenever I see the commercials about abandoned pets or poor children I do get an urge to give money so appeal to pity works on me. I hate the idea of a sad world. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment