Saturday, November 13, 2010

Difficult to Understand

The hardest reasoning for me to understand was causal reasoning.  When I visited the website on the blog the definition was a paragraph long so it was a lot for me to figure it out. The definitions on Wikipedia were easier to get a grasp of. This website http://www.experiment-resources.com/causal-reasoning.html provides the definition causal reasoning is the idea that any cause leads to a certain effect. Simple, cause and effect. Doctors use this kind of reasoning to get a diagnosis, just watch the show House. Symptoms are used to find the cause. Causal reasoning is split up into five methods. A common example I’ll use is eating then getting sick. The first is method of agreement. Please refer to my first post to read about this one. The next one is method of difference. This is when a doctor has two patients who ate together but only one got sick. The doctor would look for a difference in what they ate. Then there is the joint method of agreement and difference. There could be five patients that ate the same thing but only one did not get sick. The method of concomitant variation is when different amounts of something we eaten so the illness level varies. One patient could have had 3 beers and feels a little buzzed while a second patient had six and is drunk. Last is the method of residues. This is when a patient could have any number of symptoms and the doctor knows what all but one are caused because of prior cases. Say the doctor already had two patients that suffered from a lot of energy caused by eating a lot of candy and going to the bathroom a lot from drinking a lot of water. A third patient has those two symptoms plus a headache. Number 3 tripped on the stairs and since the other two patients didn’t, the trip caused the headache.

1 comment:

  1. I also did causal claims as my difficult reasoning explanation. I found this topic very interesting and helpful. It is amazing how we use this type of reasoning on a daily basis without even realizing it. After reading this, I find myself paying more attention to what I say in conversations and what other people say and I found that a lot of cause and effect is used. I found y our post really interesting and easy to understand. I like how you used your example and explained it into greater detail, rather than using a bunch of small examples.

    ReplyDelete