Thursday, September 30, 2010

Repairing Arguments

Example: I hate cold weather. I am going to Lake Tahoe in December.

Analysis: I believe this is an example of a phony refutation. It is a bad argument because I said that I hate cold weather then went on to say that I am going to a cold place during the winter. Why would I go somewhere where I hate the weather? The argument could be fixed by saying that I have to make the trip for work or a family event. If I add “I have a mandatory company conference in Lake Tahoe at the end of the year” in the middle, it would make sense. Referring to the guide on page 62, the argument has become valid, the premise is plausible to others, and the premise is more plausible than the conclusion. People often do things they do not want to do for work, so it could make it believable.

3 comments:

  1. This is shor but really good example. In the beginning, you made a great example of a bad arguement and then you explained in great detail how to fix it and make it believable. It really helped that you would refer to pages in the book. You also used words in the book that showed that you understand the meanings and how to use them. It seemed like you really know the material and used it all in the example you provided. I enjoyed reading your post and it helped me to understand the material better. Post like this are a lesson themselves. So thanks and keep it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope I can help in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Short, sweet, and to the point blog. Good example too! I first read your example like "what? That is so contradicting"! So definitely, this argument needs to be repaired to make sense of the entire thing. Without adding any other claims or premises we would never understand what is going on between your first claim and the conclusion. So, adding the reasoning like why you have to do such a thing puts it all together and makes sense of how you got from your first claim to your conclusion. Also, you can add something like "I hate cold weather(;however,....) to show introduce your next claim and the such words like "however" or "but" can help glue the claims together.

    ReplyDelete