Thursday, September 9, 2010

Interesting Concept

For this week I picked the different kinds of leadership. A leaders style can be either be authoritarian, consultative, participative, or laissez-faire. An authoritarian leader is someone who does not ask what other group members think. They simply make a decision and relay the message. Decisions are made faster in this style but leaves the little people with no voice. In a consultative style, decisions are made based on all the members input. The leader turns to this style when they do not have enough information to make an informed decision. Group members generally do not favor this style because it may seem like they are contributing something but their contributions are rarely used. A participative leadership style has it's group leader and members work together to solve a problem or get to their goal. The leader monitors the group and has as much influence as any group member. Making descisions takes longer but once made they are solid and informed. The last style is laiseez-faire leadership. This has less influence from the group leader than in the last style to none. Satisfaction of members is very low because the leader is not around if a problem comes up. When leading, I like to hear from everybody and make decisions as a group. If there is too much disgreement though, I turn to the authoritarian style.

4 comments:

  1. Very nicely and well written! Nice job on that. I like how you made the subject about leadership nice and short, like it’s a quick summary instead of reading that section from the text! I agree with you that leadership is the influence of a group member’s performance and there are many kinds of leaders out there. We’re able to determine which kind of leader a managing person is and how their members cooperate with that. There’s always a leader in many situations that we go through life as a guidance of showing you the way on doing what they believe is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At work I have to take on a leadership-like role. And it's hard for me sometimes, to like tell what other people have to do. I wouldn't say I'm a naturaal leader because it's not really in my nature to be demanding, especially when I know those people as friends. So with new workers, I can't be all talkative and buddy buddy with them. So that I can build a authority figure with them. I would say that I am more of a participative leader. I like to work with my coworkers to fix problems or work on a project. But at the end of the day, if I need to be a strict leader, I do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you’ve explained all of the different types of leadership! You’ve provided a great explanation of all of them. It is always interesting to see what kind of leadership role that different group members take on in a group activity; I feel as if it speaks a lot about their personality, strengths and weaknesses. Despite what kind of activity you are involved in there is always a leadership role, and how people approach that role is very interesting. It can either make or break that activity, and also how the other group members respond to the leader is always vital to the group project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Little Miss Blogger, thanks for the compliment!

    @ DONNERZ, I know just how you feel. At work I often have to tell new hires what to do. I am not their manager, just a higher level so I know what needs to get done. I usually feel like a big meanie because they need the most direction when things are busy and I am not the nicest person when I have a lot to do. I do not want them fear me because I have a lot to share with them to make them better workers. When I train them though I try to make that clear so they understand and know they can always come up to me with questions.

    @emoolee, Thanks! I agree that leadership style can tell us something about people. It really can make or break the activity. If nobody steps up to the plate in a project, nothing gets done. If somebody takes charge though and things are run smoothly, members will be more open about working in groups.

    ReplyDelete