Saturday, September 11, 2010

Section C

Argument: My car has never been stolen so it is ok for me to leave the doors unlocked.



According to Epstein, there are three ways to determine if an argument is good. The first way is to test if the premises are plausible. The book has thrown too many definitions at me to remember so I constantly have to check back for their meaning. In other words, the first test is asking if the claims in the argument trying to establish the conclusion is true are believable. My claim is that my care has never been stolen. I think people would believe that. The second test asks if the claims and more true than the conclusion. I think “my car has never been stolen” or more true than “I can leave my doors unlocked.” The last test wants to know if the argument is valid or strong. It is weak because my car could have not been stolen because robbers couldn’t get in. I could also be talking about the doors in my house and not my car.

2 comments:

  1. Knock on wood about this one man! Ha Ha Ha.
    But seriously i like your blog about this argument. I feel like the phrase, "My car has never been broken into," is fair game for the three part test Epstein gives us on determining if an argument is good. I personally believe that your car has never been stolen, knock on wood, and i also belief this to be plausible. Its also weak like you said because the reason it has not been stolen is either because robbers cant get in, or they just don't want the car. Ha Ha Ha. Well mine has not been stolen either. so lets just keep hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete