Friday, September 3, 2010

Subjective and Objective Claims

When deciding if a claim is subjective, I ask myself if it’s a personal opinion. That is the easiest way for me to remember what a subjective claim is. Objective claims are everything else, like facts. Yesterday I was in class in a room with no air conditioning. The overhead projector was on and its fan was blowing out hot air.  The professor states “It’s hot in here.” The rest of using our notebooks to fan ourselves agreed. I am going to assume that the professor meant the sentence in an “I feel hot when it is hot outside” way. The claim is subjective because it is too vague and because the class agreed with him. That makes it an intersubjective claim. An objective claim I have used was yesterday when I said “The A’s got swept by the Yankees.” My brother and I are A’s fans and we were talking about the last series they played. A sweep in baseball is when one team wins every game in a series against another team. A series is when two teams play each other for 2-4 games in a row. The Yankees series was four games long and the A’s lost all four games. The sweep is fact and the scores prove it. If I had said the A’s are a bad team it would be a subjective claim because of my standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment