Tuesday, October 19, 2010

2 Things I Learned

The first thing that I learned this week from Chapter 8 was that general claims are usually bad. If you look at the cats and dogs example on page 159, it sounds valid. I tried to guess what it would be after reading the first example and I got it wrong. Then I learned that you have to take into consideration what “some” means and that “all the dogs that like cats are abhorred by the cats as too wimpy” could happen. The second thing I learned was the diagram of an argument. I learn with pictures so this definitely helped. It helps me understand the examples given in the book and why they are or are not valid. I do have trouble putting the right premise completely in the middle though. For the barking example on page 165 I started with mammals in the middle rather than on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment