Thursday, December 9, 2010

Concept

A useful concept from the semester was appeal to emotion. There is appeal to fear, pity, spite and vanity.  I learned that in my arguments I have to tailor them towards the people I am talking to if I want it to go my way. I am more likely to use fear and pity. I use appeal to fear to try to get my siblings to teach me to drive a stick. I tell them that if I were stuck in the middle of nowhere and the only thing around was a car with a manual transmission I would be screwed, hoping it’ll scare them into teaching me. Then they pull the truck has no power steering excuse making harder to drive excuse and I’ll crash the other car excuse. Appeal to pity came in handy when I would convince my parents to buy me something. I’d tell them I looked like the poor kid at school when I had an old iPod or wanted more clothes. Now I have a job so I just get it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment